(Quality Assurance and Improvement)
As part of the Maine EMS Statewide Quality Assurance and Improvement (QA/I) program, we have established a regional QA/I committee for the purpose of facilitating communication between hospitals and EMS services, disseminating QA/I program related education and training, and coordinating QA/I audits and studies. Our regional QA/I committee will be comprised of, but not limited to, the following:
- ED medical directors from the four regional hospitals (NMMC, Cary Medical Center, Northern Light A.R. Gould, Houlton Regional Hospital) or their designees.
- ED Nurse Managers from each of the four regional hospitals or their designees.
- A representative of the QA/I committee of each ambulance service in the region.
- A representative of the QA/I committee of each First Responder Service that lists an ambulance service from #3 above as their transporting agency.
-Region V Coordinator
Region V Administrative/Fiscal Assistant
-Region V Medical Director
Role of the Regional QA/I Committee
The committee will meet monthly then possibly quarterly. EMS Services will be required to send at least one member of their service QA/I committee to 75% of the scheduled quarterly meetings. The agenda for the meetings will be left to the Regional Committee, but every effort should be made to include the following content: • Review of regional and statewide QA/I Audits.
• Presentation of education that is developed as part of QA/I efforts.
• Updates on regional and state QA/I committee activity.
• Communication between EMS services and the hospitals regarding operational issues.
• Local case reviews including, but not limited to any unanticipated event resulting in death or serious physical or psychological injury to a patient or patients, not related to the natural course of the patient's illness
Continuing Education credits will be available for these meetings. The sub-regional QA/I committee will also designate a representative to the regional QA/I committee.
Services will be required to send a representative from their service QA/I committee to at least 75% of the scheduled quarterly meetings. Attendance will be taken at each meeting, and services that are not in compliance will receive a letter from the Regional Medical Director reminding them that participation in the regional QA/I committee is a condition of licensure and that further non-compliance will result in referral the Maine EMS investigation Committee.
We held our first meeting on Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 10:00 am in the EOC on High Street, Caribou, ME. The minutes from this meeting will be forthcoming soon and posted on this page.
The next meeting is Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 8:30 am at the EOC on High Street, Caribou, ME.
The Aroostook Region V QA/I Committee at the first meeting discussed possible indicatiors to focus on. The committee determined one of the prioritized indicators we would be reviewing will be TXA. Dr. Collamore has created a TXA Quality Review form which can be found under this heading by clicking on Forms. There is also a Powerpoint called "EMS Documentation or....Death by Paperwork" and test for 1 Hour of CEH which can be found by clicking on the Powerpoint heading under QA/I.
Aroostook Region V EMS
111 High Street, Suite 1
Caribou ME 04736
P - (207) 492-1624
Copyright Aroostook Region V EMS.
All Rights Reserved.